Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Benjamin Moore Aura Paint


So, I decided to start painting the exterior doors in the house. We were supposed to have these done by a painter, but he took off and moved to Alberta without telling us or our builder....Because I am a perfectionist in some ways, I "researched" the perfect color for our doors for months. I knew I was going to do the exterior doors a black color. Not black black, but a warm black if there was such a thing. I wanted the perfect shade of a black/brown. finally, I decided on BM nightshade. It is a very deep chocolate brown, looks blackish that matches really to anything. The decorating forums raved about this color too, and it was part of the new colors for 2007. My chandelier was featured in that brochure for their dining room colors. (that's how I tracked that one down)

Anyway, I put the first coat on last night on my front door, and also did the inside of that door too. I am so pleased with the way the color looks, and also the performance of the paint itself. The 1 gallon of paint cost $65 (oh my!) and with all the other things my hubby bought to paint with , total was about $100. Small change for me because the painter charges something like 200-3000 per door!! So far, I think I did 200 % better than any painter. In fact, I am not telling family that I painted the doors myself ( hopefully they don't read my blog ) lol.


Here is why I bought this 65 dollar a gallon paint:


"Color Lock: Advanced technology created by Benjamin Moore makes Aura exterior paint unlike any other paint on the market. This proprietary technology encapsulates color pigment in our own resin, revolutionizing paint color integrity and ensuring that the color lasts year after year, weathering even the most challenging environments.


Easy Application: Aura exterior paint offers exceptional flow and leveling, and applies smoothly and quickly for complete coverage..


Superior Coverage: A single coat of super premium Aura exterior paint covers so well, it’s like applying two coats of conventional paint at once. Aura exterior paint provides a higher “build,$rdquo; allowing for a more protective coating on the substrate, and is self-priming on most surfaces - you save time and use less paint for greater savings..


A Premium Coating: Aura exterior paint’s high build properties combine with superior coating flexibility, so the paint flows easily and fills in minor crevices. Substrate imperfections like small surface cracks virtually disappear..


Eco-friendly: Aura exterior paint contains one of the lowest VOC (volatile organic compound) levels of any paint, exceeding the most stringent environmental regulations. It provides unsurpassed performance, environmental safeguards, and low odor in one innovative product..


Resists Mildew: Aura exterior paint is specially formulated with agents that inhibit the growth of mildew, reducing maintenance for years to come..


Lifetime Warranty: Aura exterior paint is self-priming, superior one-coat performance provides a film so durable, we warrant it against chipping, peeling, and flaking - for life - when used according to the label directions. .


Aura paint can help you deliver outstanding results in any color and any finish. Matte finish, satin, eggshell and now semi-gloss are available to suit your taste. And, these low VOC paints are GREENGUARD certified, providing yet another advantage for your next project. "


I will tell you, that so far I am loving this paint. It is super thick and creamy,the color is so rich and believe this ...No smell! I couldn't believe it. A paint that doesn't smell like stinky fumes. Also, it dries super fast. It was dry to the touch in a 1/2 hour. The 1 coat thing, you could I guess but I always paint 2 coats so I didn't pay much attention to trying to get it all on the first coat.



I don't have a picture posted, because I was looking for the camera yet again. I will post some pics when I find it.

6 comments:

abli said...

Where do you have time to raise 5 kids, design soap, go camping, AND paint your door?? You inspire me!!

Rocki Adams said...

LOL! (abli's comment)

I love painting, but really have to be in the mood for it.

That paint sounds awesome - the price is definitely worth it.

☼ Rocki

Benjamin Moore lover said...

http://www.youtube.com/custom_player

Richard said...

We are nearing the end of a major rejuvenation of a 6,000 square foot home. After finding out more about the new Aura paint, we decided to give it a try. While it is significantly more expensive than say the Regal, or other Benjamin Moore lines, all I can say is WOW! Once you try Aura, it is very hard to go back to older paints! If you've ever tried to paint deep red, you'll know how difficult it is to get full coverage. with Aura paints, it goes on and covers with unbeatable ease.
You can see some photos of our redecorating efforts at our Blog: Scotttribe.com - http://www.scotttribe.com



Here is a link that might be useful: ScottTribe

Unknown said...

Can you post a picture of the door? we would love to see your handy work!!!

Nari said...

I just tried the low VOC Benjamin Moore Aura paint. I’ve never had problems with headaches or dizziness smells like paint. I liked the things I tried – which can be transformed into any color palette and its pigments are high.